The Problem of Doubt
The Problem of Doubt Part 1 of this article can be found in the July 2017 edition of the She Yearns Newsletter. Click here to read the archive when it becomes live.
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.
But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. James 1:6-7
What is the problem of doubt?
When we ask God for virtually anything, the request rises out of our faith. From blessing the food to safety to making a life decision– faith remains at the heart of the issue. James, the very brother of Jesus-who had first-hand experience at doubting and disbelief (John 7:5), pointedly describes the problems doubt creates in our lives.
- The doubting person asks in a manner that questions God’s ability to do what she need Him to do. He is not ABLE.
- The doubting person falls short in her belief that God will be willing to grant what she asks that is important her life. He is not WILLING.
- The doubting person asks all around her need never really asking for anything. He is too BIG to care about me.
- The doubting person is not specific because she does not want to be disappointed. He is a good God, just not SPECIFICALLY GOOD TO YOU, and
- All these can open the door for the enemy to toss the person to and fro where ever her disappointment and faithless thinking takes her
“For not even his brothers believed in him.” John 7:5
James did not believe Jesus was the Savior until He appeared to him after the resurrection. Oh yes, he knew a thing or two about the problem of doubt. Yet, he overcame.
He recognized that communion with Jesus and faith were as intertwined as eating pancakes smothered in syrup. The path to victory over doubt is to pray prayers of substance, specifics, and stability –that spill over with a genuine belief:
- That God is ABLE to do what you ask of Him.
- That He is willing to grant what you ask that is important your life.
- That God is genuinely concerned about You.
- That He is a Good God and does not play favorites – so that you will NOT be disappointed.
Anything less…well, simply stated is like eating a dry pancake. You can do it – but…all the impact, flavor and effectiveness is lost.
- What is your biggest hang-up when it comes to the problem of doubting in your prayer life?
- If you could just believe God about ____ what would it be?
- What is one thing you can change about how you approach God in your prayers to stop doubting?
Wisdom is specifically what James tells us we can absolutely believe God will give us. Allow me to challenge you to ask God to give you the wisdom you need in a particular situation you are dealing with — WITHOUT DOUBTING that He will do it! And please write us here at She Yearns or on our Facebook page and tell us how God is at work in your life! He is up to the challenge!
With much affection!
For His glory,